Saturday, August 14, 2004

Assimilations



A week has now gone by since I started this blog. I really don't know if anyone's reading this (other than a few friends that I keep forcing it on).

I'm about to re-install photoshop (something I have to do every time I re-format my computer), so I'm getting that much closer to working on my comic again. I've been tossing around ideas for 'Nuther World Comics #2. But first I need to finish work on another story, called "Godboy", that I'm doing for someone else. This job I have right now is really kicking my butt. But I'm sure once I get settled in I'll have more time to work on what I want to.

I just saw Alien Vs. Predator this week (look on this site for my review) and one of the trailers was for Shaun of the Dead, a whimsical take on zombie films. Turns out a zombie infestation breaks out in Britain and the only person who can stop it is this guy Shaun, who has a hangover and is more interested in getting his ex-girlfriend back. The trailer was hilarious. Can't wait to see it in September.

There was a show called Amp that used to play on MTV. I mentioned it previously in the Tori Amos post. At one time I had found a website that had listed all the episodes and the videos that were played on each. I've since lost it. If anyone knows where I can find it, shoot me an e-mail.

Also, there was a band on MP3.com, called Acidage. MP3.com has recently folded. I think it was bought out by c-net. If anyone knows where Acidage now keeps their music, let me know.

Many wonder how my fascination with cyberpunk came about. And you know? I can't really tell you. It just so happened that I was introduced to a lot of similar things around the same time. During this time I hadn't found my favorite genre yet. Blade Runner helped start it rolling. Then I found the Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 games. And the radio shows "Hearts of Space" and "Musical Starstreams". All of these came to me at about the same time and left a lasting impression. MTV's Amp and Aeon Flux helped cement it in. And Bubblegum Crisis, Akira and Ghost in the Shell meant there was no turning back.
Then I found the chatsubo usenet group.
And then, after all this, I read the book that started it all- Neuromancer.
As science-fiction comes closer to being science-fact, cyberpunk is starting to take on new meanings. Some would say that cyberpunk is dead, since we've reached the plateau in real life that was first established in the early days of the genre. And I think they may be right. But the mindset, the original attitude of cyberpunk is still here.
Just about any story now days has a bit of technology involved. How can you tell if it's cyberpunk then? You can't. But after you read it or watch it, you'll know. Cyberpunk is more about attitude and the overall atmosphere.

Another genre that I took a liking to is pulp fiction. I'm not talking Quentin Tarantino here. I'm talking guys with guns and femme fatales. Mystery men fighting deadly criminals. Detectives searching for that elusive case-solving clue.
This also came to me at one big bang, as I found both the Shadow radio shows and the Shadow pulp stories on-line in my early days of internet. I also had found Doc Savage and the Avenger.
I then found a magazine, called "Pulp Adventures", and quickly subscribed.
And to help even more I discovered The Sandman Mystery Theatre from DC Comics. Serving stories in four-part segments, the book was for "mature readers", which meant it had no restraints. And because of that it allowed the creators to write some damn good stories.
I also came across a website that was devoted to bringing back pulp fiction as a marketable genre. It allowed new writers to submit stories to be shown on their website for free viewing. I read plenty of good stories there, as well.
And two of the best book compilations I own are "The Mammoth Book of Pulp Fiction" and "Tough Guys and Dangerous Dames". Both books are huge and collect stories from old detective pulp magazines. If you see either of these, check them out.
When I did my Moon Knight fan-fiction, I fashioned it as a pulp story, with chapter breaks and cliffhangers. I even found a note from Lester Dent on how he came up with a "formula" for writing pulps. It did give me nudge in the right direction.

But I have to say one of favorite readings about someone else writing came from The Twilight Zone Companion.
In it we discover just how Rod Serling worked. And how obsessive he was over his show. It's great to read about other people being creative- Eavesdropping on them when they have that big "Aha!". And the Twilight Zone Companion gave me that feeling.
Now if I can just afford the dvds.

14 comments:

Psychbloke said...

Wanted to let you know people were out here beyond the forced friends!
Just read pretty much all your posts. I got here via a recommendation from loki23.blogspot.com
Far too much to comment on, save how interesting it's all been.
Thanks for the pointers to the Blade Runner scripts and the Blur remixes.
Have linked to you - hope OK
I'll be a regular visitor

Andrewsarchus said...

Hi. I came upon your blog through a Google search. I'm just getting into cyberpunk, and am kinda thinking about some ideas I have for a game mod (on Half-Life 2) influence by Richard K. Morgan and a little bit of Heinlein and Philip K. Dick.

Have you read Neuromancer or Cryptonomicon? I read a bit of the latter, and it was good. I'm going ot get them both from the library soon.

Keep posting. I'll read it.

Republic of Replicants said...

Thanks for the kind words, Andrew!
You might want to check out the mod community for Deus Ex to get some ideas, too. There were some people working on a Shadowrun conversion, if I remember correctly. Go to Planet Deus Ex to locate it.

I have read Neuromancer. It is THE classic book that defined cyberpunk. It's great! And I also suggest reading Gibson's short story collection, Burning Chrome, as well as Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" (the original Blade Runner story).

I haven't read Cryptonomicon, however, so I can't comment on that one.

Brett said...

I am also a fan of Cyberpunk--and a writer. Hopefully some of you will enjoy my new book WIRED FOR CHAOS. It is for sale on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Regards,
Brett

Republic of Replicants said...

Thanks, Brett, for stopping by.
If I see your book next time I'm at B&N I'll check it out.

I also want to suggest "The Ultimate Cyberpunk", edited by Pat Cadigan. It's a great collection of stories put out by IBooks. It also has a sixteen page insert featuring pages from the "lost" second volume of the Neuromancer Graphic Novel.

Brett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

He Lee, where did you get that cool "cyberpunk negro" illustration at the top of the page?

Brett said...

He Lee, where did you get that cool "cyberpunk negro" illustration at the top of the page?

Brett said...

Hey Lee, where did you get that cool "cyberpunk negro" illustration at the top of the page?

Brett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Republic of Replicants said...

You know... I don't really remember.
I think I had done an image search for "cyberpunk" and found it.
I thought it was pretty cool.