Friday, August 06, 2004

The Rise of Self-Importance: Blogs

We all like to feel important, and to some people we are. But in the current age we live in, everyone has a need to be known- even just for a minute. It may be a result of the "Real World" syndrome. Or it may be the result of how faceless we have become as the population grows and we move too fast to see each other. Sometimes people just need not only a way to express themselves, but also to be assured that they are being heard. It's about acknowledgement. A sense of importance.



But what makes me so important that I can intrude upon you my opinions or expressions?
What makes anyone?

And yet, there they are. Hundreds of people doing the same thing I am right now. Writing logs of thought and action, capturing the moment and sharing to others who may not, or can not, experience it first hand. Most often giving their opinion of it. And it makes them feel like they're doing more than just the daily grind. And perhaps someone will read it.

All I can do is give my opinion. It's really all I have. But you have one, too. Feel free to comment back on anything I post.

And if you find the time- create your own blog. It's easy. Just click the link at the top and follow the directions. If you do, let me know. I'd love to check it out. So... why are you still reading mine? Go write your own!

But seriously, do stick around as I try to figure out what to do with this new freedom of expression. In the coming weeks I'll be forging a direction to take with the site. I hope someone enjoys it.

No comments: