Saturday, February 05, 2005

Obscure Pulp Cover


"The world's boldest trouble chasers search for the truth behind the occult and mysterious!"

This is a paperback presentation of DC Comics' "Challengers of the Unknown", written by Ron Goulart. It was published in 1977. I found it in a used bookstore a few years back.

Goulart also penned several Avenger books (the pulp character) and Phantom books, both under different names.

The cover artist isn't credited. There's a signature around the bottom right but hard to read.

And now that I got the two Hard Case Crime books I had missed, I now present a list of pulp (or pulpish) novels in my collection:

The Mammoth Book of Pulp Fiction, anthology, edited by Maxim Jakubowski
Tough Guys and Dangerous Dames, anthology, edited by Robert E. Weinberg, Stefan Dziemianowicz and Martin H. Greenberg
The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
Grifter's Game, Lawrence Block
Fade to Blonde, Max Phillips
Top of the Heap, Erle Stanley Gardner
Little Girl Lost, Richard Aleas
Two For the Money, Max Allan Collins
The Confession, Domenic Stansberry
Challengers of the Unknown, Ron Goulart
Doc Savage: Meteor Menace, Kenneth Robeson
Doc Savage: The Midas Man, Kenneth Robeson

Then several issues of Pulp Adventures Magazine and an issue of High Adventure that reprints Tarzan's first appearance.

I also recently received a box of books that included a bunch of Mack Bolans and a few books by Mickey Spillane. Once I sort through them, I'll update my list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got that book. I've also got a couple of Goulart's VAMPIRELLA paperbacks.

I like the list – you're off to a good start. Swing by my forums at www.atomicpulp.com and join in the conversations. We talk about this kind of stuff a lot.

Christopher Mills

Republic of Replicants said...

Think I'll do just that.
Thanks for the invite.
:-)