Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Hell, Boy!



I watched Hellboy again last night. I'd almost forgotten how well the character translated to the big screen.

You know what else it did right?
The villains.

Most (super-hero) movies that feature more than one villain tend to lose focus and either give one of the evil-doers more screen time than the others (Batman Returns) or have too many villains to begin with (Elektra).

Plus, the cgi was awesome. The only time it faltered was when Hellboy was running on the collapsing bridge and pulled a "walking on air" trick similar to the effects in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I really liked all the characters as they were each given their own distinct personalities which helped make them feel more alive.

I'm surprised I haven't heard much in the way of a sequel. Could've sworn I heard something a while back. It definitely deserves one.

Honestly, I think the B.P.R.D. would make one hell of a television series...

Here's a few Hellboy links...
Hellboy.com.
Dark Horse Comics, publishers of the Hellboy comics.
Official Hellboy Movie Page.
The Hellboy Script and Transcript.
The Hellboy Role-Playing Game, by Steve Jackson Games.
Hellboy Movie Trailers.

Meanwhile, if you're into role-playing games and you like this genre, I suggest checking out Into the Shadows, a really well thought out and fascinating rpg that focuses on the weird and creepy.
And it's FREE !!!
Download the two PDFs and see for yourself.
(And I must add that the original In Search Of... series featuring Leonard Nimoy makes a great resource for creating plots and adventures.)

2 comments:

Psychbloke said...

Yeah... I liked the clockwork guy and Rasputin's resurrection out of congealed blood.
The ecomics on the Dark Horse site are nice too ain't they?

Republic of Replicants said...

Yes, they are. Don't forget to check out the ones listed at Hellboy.com, too.

Know what else I forgot to mention?
The DVD has an amazing amount of extras on it. Really worth picking up.