Wednesday, October 05, 2005

My Fave Comic Artists

Thought I'd take a moment to share with you just which artists get my attention...
Included are links to their websites and samples if available.


Bill Sienkiewicz
Bill first became known while working on Marvel's first Moon Knight series. He later went on to do a run on New Mutants which found him starting to experiment with new ideas.
My first exposure to his art was Uncanny X-Men #159 which also served as the first X-Men comic I ever read.

Denys Cowan
Denys made an impact on me with his work on Power-Man/Iron Fist in the mid-80s. Much like Sienkiewicz, he later went on to more experimental illustration as seen in the shortlived Deathlok series.

Alex Maleev
The most recent artist to give me the same feeling I got looking at Sienkiewicz's early stuff. He's definitely worth keeping around and I can't wait for Spider-Woman.

Eduardo Risso
The original hook that got me into 100 Bullets. With a unique style and great sense of inking, he's impressed the hell out of me.

Howard Chaykin
Another creator who's work appealed to me mostly because of the angular lines similar to Sienkiewicz. And it didn't hurt that the characters he handled were pretty cool, too.

Phil Noto
Here's someone who never really interested me until after he stopped doing regular work. I finally softened up to his art around the time that the D20 Modern RPG came out.

Dan Brereton
Dan has always intrigued me but I've still yet to actually read any of his stuff. However, I've come close to buying Thrillkiller several times.

And two new artists that have started turning my head are Gabriele Dell'otto and Adi Granov.
Both are really accomplished painters. Dell'Otto has a similar style to Sienkiewicz but a bit more polished. Granov's work sometimes looks a little stiff but his work on Iron Man helped him loosen up quite a bit.

Other artists I like currently include Bryan Hitch, Trevor Hairsine, Mike Allred, Pascual Ferry (Adam Strange and after), Liam Sharp, Michael Lark, Kevin Maguire, Adam Hughes, Sal Velluto, Kelley Jones, Bart Sears, Tommy Lee Edwards, Jaime Hernandez and Steve Rude.

And of course, then there's the masters... Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, Walt Simonson, Frank Miller and George Perez.
John Byrne, too, I guess... Just don't tell him.

No comments: