Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Today's Haul


I finally went to the comic shop again.
Here's what I picked up:

ATOMICS #11 and 12
LOVE AND ROCKETS #10
SHADOWPACT #1
DC SHOWCASE PRESENTS SUPERMAN VOL. 1
NOBLE CAUSES #19

I've only read the SHADOWPACT so far. I couldn't wait so I read it in the parking lot before the long drive home.
I actually liked it.

If you like fun comics, you really should check it out. The plot is very different and the story is pure Willingham.
It's definitely the closest you can get to Giffen and DeMatteis' JUSTICE LEAGUE as you can without being silly. And Willingham's art rivals that of Kevin Maguire or Adam Hughes.

I give it a nice shiny A-.
It would've been an A if it was a complete one-issue story, but I can see how this one may require the three issues he's lined up for it.

I can already tell that this is gonna be one of the best new series of the year.

I'm trying to catch up with THE ATOMICS and LOVE AND ROCKETS.

I now have the first twelve issues of ATOMICS (only three more to go!) and I'm still missing issues 6 and 7 of LOVE AND ROCKETS (as well as everything after #10).
Hopefully, if I can get a regular trip to the comic shop each month, I may get caught back up.

I already have the GREEN LANTERN SHOWCASE book and the SUPERMAN volume puts me at two. I really like the idea of reading DC's Silver Age stories. Moreso than reading Marvel's. I think it's because they were still a bit more lighthearted.
I can't wait for when they reach the late '60s era that was majorly influenced by the BATMAN tv show.

I picked up NOBLE CAUSES on the suggestion of the shop owner. He thinks I may like it. We'll see.

Also, I got the GOON: NOTHIN' BUT MISERY trade paperback from a friend yesterday and I'm kinda diggin' it.

2 comments:

john moon said...

i certainly dug Willingham's art. made me wish he would draw some FABLES already!

Republic of Replicants said...

Non-surprisingly, his art's causing an uproar with the majority of comic book readers because it's not "Jim Lee" enough.