Wednesday, June 09, 2010

More Insightful Info


So after falling for Marvel's ATLAS series I've decided to check out more information on Jeff Parker, the writer of said book.

So far I have discovered that Jeff wrote for Marvel's Adventure line of comics when it shifted over from Marvel Age. He even launched the Marvel Adventures version of the Avengers. At one time I considered reading the Adventures line because they don't come off as kiddie books like most of DC's Johnny DC titles. They're simply stories not buried in miles of backstory and are more casual reads from what I've seen so far. They remind me of DC's Animated comics, particularly Adventures in the DC Universe. Unfortunately, I never did get started into it.

I did find it interesting that they used Storm (from the X-Men) in that Avengers. However, it made sense, of course, since the X-Men movies had made her one of Marvel's biggest female characters and Monica Rambeau's Captain Marvel is all but forgotten these days.

But back to the topic at hand. Which is Jeff Parker.

There are only a few writers that have made the kind of first impression on me that Jeff has made. This would include Mike Allred, Darwyn Cooke, Jeff Smith and Mike Mignola...

Now... those are all varied examples... and he's not exactly like any one of them... So what is it that makes me draw that conclusion? What makes me put him in the same category as those folks?

Storytelling and characterization.
And a large helping of fun.

He's not out to write the next Watchmen or Dark Knight... He's not Diassembling anyone or practicing to write the next made-for-movie event. He's just writing a fun comic and it shows.

One thing I like to do is check out creators' personal websites or blogs. I've learned a lot from Marv Wolfman from doing so. On the flipside, I also lost a lot of respect for John Byrne doing that, too.

So the last few days I've been reading Jeff Parker's blog over at Parkerspace and I like what I've seen so far. Granted, I've only read the first few months of 2004 and the last handful of his most recent postings... but I can already tell that this guy is gonna be on my must-read list for a while. He's just quirky enough to be real.

I just ordered the first two AGENTS OF ATLAS trade paperbacks and I'm looking forward to reading them. I'm usually anti-trades. If I miss something and have to go back to pick it up, I generally go for the original "floppies". I don't know why. Perhaps it's because I'm old school. Or it could be because I like to be able to lay them out and admire the individual covers. Or maybe it's because I think trades are killing the comic format while breathing life into the comics medium.

I would have gotten the original comics but the Atlas books were a little different than your usual run-of-the-mill reprint book. There's a bunch of extra material in there that I would never have seen or found on my own. Maybe I wouldn't have been inclined to go seek out the first appearance of Gorilla Man... but it's there... So I'll read it. It's stuff like that that will eventually win me over to the trades. I still stand on the anti-written-for-trade side, though.

Now I just need to check out Keith Giffen's DOOM PATROL.

No comments: