Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer Recharge



I've started to listen to more NPR here in the realm of the replicants. There's a wide variety of stuff out there across hundreds of stations. I use PublicRadioFan.com to sort through it all. They have a great feature where you can glance at what's playing in a handy grid (similar to a tv guide). You can also narrow to music or non-music broadcasts.

I was listening this morning to Weekend Edition Sunday and they had a piece on Jeff Beck and his new album, Emotion and Commotion (which I'm sure I'm gonna try to find), and I heard some really good music. He has a great sound. And just as if they were targeting me, he was paired with Joss Stone on two tracks of the album.
Joss is a phenomenal artist in her own right but the two of them together is amazing!

So after listening to the show I did something I haven't done in a loooong time- I made a "mix tape".

I had a mixtape at one time (back when I did it on cassettes) that had the Blade Runner/Fly Night Bird/Blue Jean Blues combo but I've since lost it and can't remember what else was on it. However, I'm pretty sure Cherish the Day was in there somewhere.

This mix is designed to flow well from one song to the next. If there is a theme to it, it would be the bluesy, whiny guitar sound that resonates from a majority of the tracks.

So let those guitars reach down and peel away all the funk that's built up and feel the recharging begin.

Track listing:
1. Santana - "Jingo"
2. Jeff Beck and Joss Stone - "I Put a Spell on You"
3. Tito & the Tarantulas - "After Dark"
4. U2 with Brian Eno - "One Minute Warning"
5. Bjork - "All is Full of Love"
6. Vangelis - "Blade Runner Blues"
7. Roy Buchanan - "Fly Night Bird"
8. ZZ Top - "Blue Jean Blues"
9. U2 with Brian Eno - "Different Kind of Blue"
10. Jane Sibery - "It Can't Rain All the Time"
11. Jeff Beck - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
12. Sade - "Cherish the Day"

No comments: