Friday, December 17, 2010

Comixology Comes to the Droid


Official release:

"New York, NY / December 15th, 2010 – Due to overwhelming demand, the holidays have come early for millions of comic book fans everywhere with the release of the Comics by comiXology Android™ app (beta) powered by comiXology, the leading digital comics platform provider for all iOS devices, the Web and now Android.

Expanding beyond its industry-leading digital comic book apps on iOS and the Web, comiXology brings the largest digital comics library to the Android marketplace, enabling fans to read comics on Android devices running 2.1 (Eclair) or higher. The Comics by comiXology Android beta app gives users the ability to discover, purchase, and read more than 2,500 digital comics and over 300 free comics from 40 publishers. Launch partners include DC Comics, Image Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, and Archie, alongside many more. Users can search and browse through comics based on titles, creators, publishers, genre and ratings, and find local comic book retailers with the built-in retailer finder..."

Go here to read more details about the new Droid app.

Comics publishers participating with Comixology on the Droid include:

* A Wave Blue World
* Adhouse Books
* Alterna Comics
* Antarctic Press
* Arcana Studio
* Archie Comics
* Asylum Press
* Bluewater Comics
* BOOM! Studios
* Com.x
* Creative Impulse
* Creator Owned
* DC Comics
* Devils Due
* Digital Webbing
* Dynamite Entertainment
* EigoMANGA
* Evil Twin Comics
* First Salvo
* Image Comics
* Keenspot
* Markosia
* Moonstone Books
* Oni Press
* Radical
* Red 5 Comics
* Shadowline
* Skybound
* South Fellini
* Slave Labor Graphics
* Studio 407
* Th3rd World Studios
* TOKYOPOP
* Top Cow
* Vertigo
* Viper Comics
* Zenescope Entertainment

Notice that Marvel is missing...

I just recently got a Droid and I immediately downloaded this app last night when I first discovered it's release. I had to try it out for myself.

Reading the first issue of WALKING DEAD (which is one of the free comics), I was very pleased with the program. The experience was far more pleasing than I expected. It basically goes panel-by-panel with a smooth transition that is easy to navigate.

I'm currently checking out all the free comics but seeing that today is payday I may pick up a few regular ones, too. It's actually that good.

Overall, Comoxology for the Droid was a lot better than I expected. The only drawback right now is the absence of Marvel. I understand that they DO carry Marvel on their other mobile apps so I'm wondering if they're just bringing them in later.

I'll be covering the comics on Comixology here as I'm sure I'll be continueing using it.

Another app worth mentioning for Droid users is Daily Strip. I absolutely love this one.
It gives you access to almost every comic strip currently running in the newspapers and has an extensive backlog. It has a great navagation system, as well, and all the strips are shown in color (even the dailies) if they are available.

No comments: