Friday, December 31, 2010

Comixology Reviews

I'm playing catch-up on my reviews right now as I've bought or downloaded several comics over the last couple of weeks and I just haven't had the time to read or review with the holidays being so busy.

Here are more free comics that I checked out.


ATOMIC ROBO #1 (of 6) (Free)
(Brian Clevinger/Scott Wegener/Ronda Pattison/Jeff Powell; Red 5 Comics)


The action-science adventures of Nikola Tesla's automated intelligence machine begin in 1938. Atomic Robo is secretly hired by the U.S. Army to infiltrate the hidden Himalayan mountain base of Baron Heinrich Von Helsingard before he perfects a superweapon for the Nazis.

Atomic Robo really didn't appeal much to me. It's basically Hellboy with the personality of Deadpool. I just couldn't get into it.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

BUCKAROO BANZAI: RETURN OF THE SCREW #1 (Free)
(Joe Gentile/Mac Rauch/Stephen Thompson/Keith Williams; Moonstone)


Along with his Hong Kong Cavaliers, Buckaroo Banzai must battle more than one surprise arch enemy, each with their own motives, but all acting in concert to bring Banzai, and the universe as we know it, to their knees!

I guess the whole concept of Buckaroo Banzai is lost on me as I've never seen the movie and couldn't follow what was going on. It was kind of like having a dream that just has no meaning.

I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

CAPTAIN ACTION #0 (Free)
(Fabian Nicieza/Mark Sparacio; Moonstone)


The super spy master of disguise is back again for the first time! Led by the original Captain Action, the A.C.T.I.O.N. Directorate fought the Red Crawl for decades. The alien threat was thought long vanquished, so no one notices when Earth is conquered. Literally, no one notices it! He wakes up to learn the father who fired him is dead, and the job he never wanted is his. He has to save a world that doesn't know it needs saving. He has to reclaim his identity while impersonating others. He has to become the very thing he tried his entire life to avoid - Captain Action!

Nice premise: Aliens secretly take over planet using superpowers and only one man (with no powers) can stop them.

But...

I don't know if it's just the holidays or what but this was another book I just could not get into.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

CAPTAIN BLOOD: ODYSSEY #1 (Free)
(Matthew Shepherd/Michael Shoyket; SLG)


All Peter Blood wanted was to be left alone. A doctor living in 17th century England, Blood spends his days tending to his patients and reminiscing about his time adventuring through Europe. Blood soon winds up on the wrong side of a rebellion and is sentenced to ten years of hard labor on the island of Barbados. Escaping slavery, Blood begins his career as a pirate and becomes one of the most famous Pirates in the Caribbean as well as one of literature's best anti-heroes. Captain Blood: Odyssey is an adaptation of Rafael Sabatini's novel. Later adapted into the 1935 movie starring Errol Flynn, the 1922 book was a smash hit and launched numerous sequels. Adapted for the first time to comic book form, Captain Blood: Odyssey is a very faithful adaptation of the popular novel.

Finally! A free book that I liked this time.

In case you didn't catch the words "adaptation" or "adapted" in the blurb, this is a book rendered in comic form. The art alone is fantastic.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.


THE ASTOUNDING WOLFMAN #1 (Free)
(Robert Kirkman/Jason Howard; Skybounnd)


Witness the birth of the world's most unlikely superhero: The Astounding Wolf-Man!

I really was hoping for better. I went into it expecting more. I guess because of how good WALKING DEAD is.

This issue was a basic introduction to the characters and gets the origin out of the way quickly. Unfortunately, it felt like that was the whole purpose and it really had nothing more to offer.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: